Parker River Watershed Cultural History

 

 

   

The Native Americans of Northeastern Massachusetts referred to the Parker River as "Quasacuncon" which meant waterfall. The English colonists used several additional names for the Parker such as Newbury River, Oldtown River, or the Falls River. On September 22, 1697 the Newbury selectmen ordered that the river be "called by the name of the river Parker in remembrance of the worthy, learned, and reverend minister Mr. Thomas Parker, who was a first planter and pastor of ye church of Newbury and learned schoolmaster."

 

Historical Maps